RISK ASSESSMENT FACTORS AFFECTING CABLE GLAND SELECTION
In the event that a new high profile “Greenfield” project was to be developed, a major operating company may wish to go to extreme lengths in evaluating vendor prior to confirming contract award. This may incorporate a complete and comprehensive risk assessment process. The reasons for the implementation of such a demanding examination of risk can be explained by the factors detailed below :-
- Environmentally sensitive project
- Major Capital Investment
- First time operation or new Joint Venture
- Changes in technological know how
- Increase in the extremes of operating conditions.
- New Project - First Venture in New Territory
- New Challenge – everything re-evaluated
- Success of the venture under close scrutiny
The scope of the Risk Assessment Process may take into account the following :-
|Commercial Evaluation||Technical Evaluation|
Supply Chain Management
Ability to manage
Project Quality Process
Project management of Change Process
Commercial assurance / warranty
Parent Company Guarantee
Compliance with latest standards
Specification, functionality, & reliability.
Compatibility & integrity of certification
Compatibility with specified cable type.
Cable & gland management process.
Package & site installation management.
Reliability & Maintainability
Previous track record.
Long term performance
Project Risk Management
Cable & Gland Management
Close co-operation between project engineers, cable, and cable gland vendors.Installation Technique & Training
- Eliminate the possibility of incorrect assembly in the cable gland design.
- Adopt a simple and less scientific approach for Installation Personnel.
- Project personnel to be properly trained & certificated, fully documenting this.
- Training to be given to package vendors, & sub-vendors as well as main fabricators.
- Follow up Inspection / Verification exercise to be implemented in conjunction with vendor.
- Vendor to act on behalf of client whilst carrying out its duties, during this process.