INTRODUCTION TO CABLE GLANDS
They are used throughout all industries in conjunction with cable and wiring in electrical, instrumentation and automation systems.
Cable Glands may be used on all types of electrical power, control, instrumentation, data and telecommunications cables.
They are used as a sealing and terminating device to ensure that the characteristics of the enclosure which the cable enters can be maintained adequately.The main functions of the cable gland are listed briefly as follows :-
- Cable Glands may provide environmental protection by sealing on the outer cable sheath, excluding dust and moisture from the electrical or instrument enclosure.
- Cable Glands may facilitate earth continuity in the case of armoured cables, when the cable gland has a metallic construction.
- Cable Glands may provide a holding force on the cable to ensure adequate levels of cable pull out resistance.
- Cable Glands may provide additional sealing on the part of the cable entering the enclosure, when a high degree of ingress protection is required.
- Cable Glands may provide additional environmental sealing at the cable entry point, maintaining the ingress protection rating of the enclosure with the selection of applicable accessories dedicated to performing this function.
- When used in Explosive Atmospheres they are required to maintain the level of protection of the equipment to which they are attached.