CLASSIFICATION OF Explosive AtmospheresS ACCORDING TO IEC 60079-10
The process of classifying an installation or plant into Zones whereby the probability of flammable atmospheres (or Explosive Atmospheress) arising is assessed is known as Area Classification. IEC 60079-10 is the prevailing International Standard which addresses this subject.
Explosive Atmospheres Classification Plan
A set of documents providing information on the Explosive Atmospheress of the plant is created. As a minimum this shall comprise of :-
- Area Classification Drawings,
- Details of the Flammable Substances being stored, handled, or processed,
- Details of the Sources of Release,
- Information on the Areas of Risks, and in the case of enclosed spaces,
- Information relating to the ventilation and air conditioning design, which affect the classification and extent of Explosive locations.
Explosive Atmospheres Classification Drawings
A set of drawings showing to scale the complete layout of the facility, marking the extensions of the Explosive locations defined based on the specific data associated with the flammable substances, sources of release and areas of risk for all elevations.
Standard Symbols for Identification of IEC Explosive / Classified Areas
|ZONE 0||NON-Explosive Atmospheres, PROVIDED THAT
IT IS MAINTAINED WITH A POSITIVE PRESSURE
|ZONE 1||AREA WHOSE CLASSIFICATION IS ONLY VALID
WITH THE USE OF NEGATIVE PRESSURISATION